Professor Walter Mischel died at home in New York from pancreatic cancer on September 12, 2018. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Mischel's work.
Please see below for more information:
- Walter Mischel, 88, Psychologist Famed for Marshmallow Test, Dies (New York Times)
- In Memoriam: Walter Mischel, Psychologist Who Developed Pioneering Marshmallow Test (Columbia University, Department of Psychology)
- Remembering Walter Mischel (1930-2018) (Association for Psychological Science)
- Inside the Psychologist’s Studio with Walter Mischel (Association for Psychological Science)
- What We Learned from Walter Mischel, the Late Creator of the Marshmallow Test (PBS)
- Jewish Psychologist Who Created "Marshmallow Test" of Delayed Gratification Dies (Times of Israel)
- Remembering Walter Mischel, with Love and Procrastination (New Yorker)
- Walter Mischel, psychologist who devised the ‘marshmallow test’ of delayed gratification (The Telegraph)
Walter Mischel has research interests in personality structure, process, and development, and in self-regulation (aka willpower).
His professional honors and awards include the following: National Academy of Sciences (elected 2004); Merit Award, National Institute of Mental Health, 1989 up to 2009 (awarded twice, sequentially); Jack Block Award for Distinguished Contributions to Personality Psychology (2005); Distinguished Scientist Award, Society of Experimental Social Psychologists (2000); Fellow of the Society of Experimental Psychologists (elected 1999); Doctor of Science, Honoris Causa, Ohio State University (1997); Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (elected 1991); Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award, American Psychological Association, 1982; and the Distinguished Scientist Award, APA Division of Clinical Psychology, 1978.
Professor Mischel has served as President of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, President of the Association for Research in Personality, and Editor of Psychological Review. Since 1994, he has been the Niven Professor of Humane Letters at Columbia University.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Mischel, W. (2014). The marshmallow test: Why self-control is the engine of success. New York: Little, Brown and Company.
- Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Ayduk, O. (2007). Introduction to personality: Toward an integrative science of the person (8th ed.). New York: Wiley.
- Mishel, W. (1968). Personality and assessment. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Publishers.
- Ayduk, O., Mendoza-Denton, R., Mischel, W., Downey, G., Peake, P.K., & Rodriguez, M. (2000). Regulating the interpersonal self: Strategic self-regulation for coping with rejection sensitivity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 776-792.
- Eigsti, I., Zayas, V., Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., Ayduk, O., Dadlani, M. B., Davidson, M. C., Aber, J. L., & Casey, B. J. (in press). Predictive cognitive control from preschool to late adolescence and young adulthood. Psychological Science.
- Kross, E., Ayduk, O., & Mischel, W. (2005). When asking “why” doesn’t hurt: Distinguishing rumination from reflective processing of negative emotions. Psychological Science, 16, 709-715.
- Lewinsohn, P. M., Mischel, W., Chaplin, W., & Barton, R. (1980). Social competence and depression: The role of illusory self-perceptions. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 89(2), 203-212.
- Metcalfe, J., & Mischel, W. (1999). A hot/cool system analysis of delay of gratification: Dynamics of willpower. Psychological Review, 106, 3-19.
- Mischel, F., & Mischel, W. (1958). Relationships Between Anthropology and Psychology in Field Work. American Psychologist, 13(10), 600-601.
- Mischel, W. (2009). From Personality and Assessment (1968) to Personality Science, 2009. Journal of Research in Personality, 43(2), 282-290.
- Mischel, W. (1984). Convergences and challenges in the search for consistency. American Psychologist, 39(4), 351-364.
- Mischel, W. (1979). On the interface of cognition and personality: Beyond the person-situation debate. American Psychologist, 34(9), 740-754.
- Mischel, W. (1977). On the future of personality measurement. American Psychologist, 32(4), 246-254.
- Mischel, W. (1973). Toward a cognitive social learning reconceptualization of personality. Psychological Review, 80(4), 252-283.
- Mischel, W. (1969). Continuity and change in personality. American Psychologist, 24(11), 1012-1018.
- Mischel, W., & Peake, P. K. (1983). Some facets of consistency: Replies to Epstein, Funder, and Bem. Psychological Review, 90(4), 394-402.
- Mischel, W., & Peake, P. K. (1982). Beyond déjà vu in the search for cross-situational consistency. Psychological Review, 89(6), 730-755.
- Mischel, W., & Shoda, Y. (1995). A cognitive-affective system theory of personality: Reconceptualizing situations, dispositions, dynamics, and invariance in personality structure. Psychological Review, 102, 246-268.
- Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Mendoza-Denton, R. (2002). Situation-behavior profiles as a locus of consistency in personality. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 11, 50-54.
- Mischel, W., Shoda, Y., & Rodriguez, M. L. (1989). Delay of gratification in children. Science, 244, 933-938.
- Peake, P. K., & Mischel, W. (1984). Getting lost in the search for large coefficients: Reply to Conley (1984). Psychological Review, 91(4), 497-501.
- Sethi, A., Mischel, W., Aber, L., Shoda, Y., & Rodriguez, M. (2000). The role of strategic attention deployment in development of self-regulation: Predicting preschoolers’ delay of gratification from mother-toddler interactions. Developmental Psychology, 36, 767-777.
- Mischel, W. (Ed.). (2001). Editorial. Psychological Review, 108(1), 3.
- Mischel, W. (2004). Toward an integrative science of the person (Prefatory Chapter). Annual Review of Psychology, 55, 1-22.
- Mischel, W., & Ayduk, O. (2004). Willpower in a cognitive-affective processing system: The dynamics of delay of gratification. In R. F. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation: Research, Theory, and Applications (pp. 99-129). New York: Guilford Press.
- Advanced Seminar in Current Personality Theory and Research
- Controversial Issues in Social and Personality Psychology
- Introduction to Personality
- Research Seminar in Social and Personality Psychology